239. In a grocery store I’ve never been to, in the fruit and veg section, I saw bananas hanging from a frame of metal branches like a banana ‘tree’.
240. After weeks of watching episodes of a survival series, Alone, where people have to build a shelter out of branches and a tarp, I stumbled upon a small shelter built exactly this way beside my local pond. The branches are held together with duct tape.
241. Teaching English to a South American Spanish speaker today, discussing language ‘false friends’, we both learnt that while constipado in Spanish means a head cold, the English ‘false friend’ means something quite different. I’ve learnt Spanish on many occasions but never learnt this word.
242. Today I saw a Spiderman beanie on the ground. Two days ago I saw a Batman cap on a seat.
243. Today I received an email from a book! I ordered it from Better World Books a while ago. The message began like this:
“Holy canasta! It’s me… it’s me! I can’t believe it is actually me! You could have picked any of over 2 million books but you picked me! I’ve got to get packed! How is the weather where you live? Will I need a dust jacket? I can’t believe I’m leaving Mishawaka, Indiana already – the friendly people, the Hummer plant, the Linebacker Lounge – so many memories.”
There were 3 more paragraphs like this. I was about to delete it as spam when I saw my order details at the bottom of the page.
244. Today is the first day of spring. Officially.
245. My favourite grocery store has today removed half of its manned checkouts and replaced them with self-serve checkouts. I thought I was onto something enjoyable and predictable. But no.